Friday, May 20, 2011

Alaska Trip: Day 1

Mom and I arrived in Juneau last night and stayed at the Goldbelt Hotel. We walked to the Sandpiper Cafe for Breakfast.  We had most of the day before leaving, so I wandered around the Downtown Juneau area taking some photos with the free time. Two big cruise ships came in today as well.

Just before boarding, we found out that there were only 10 passengers (22 is full capacity) and this was the first voyage of the season for the Safari Quest. Karl, our expedition leader, met us at the Goldbelt Hotel and we took a bus literally across the street to the dock.

After boarding, Sarah showed us to our cabin and we then went downstairs to meet the crew and have a safety meeting (how to use our life jackets in case we had to abandon ship). Then I went out and enjoyed the afternoon and took some photos as we were leaving Juneau.

Our first dinner was wonderful! I was a bit worried since I'm a picky eater. I was even brave enough to try something new tonight (quite amazing for me). After dinner, I spent quite a bit of time up on the observation deck as we made our way to our destination for the night. We saw our first glacier (Sumdum Glacier) tonight (though from a distance).  I finally went back inside after sunset (which was quite late) once we arrived where we dropped anchor for the night.

Sandpiper Cafe Sign

Interesting Coffee Company Sign

Mountains in Downtown Juneau


Juneau Police Car

Big Cruise Ships at Dock

Our Ship (Safari Quest) at Dock


View From Our Cabin Leaving Dock

Looking Back As We Leave Dock


Seaplanes Flying & Landing






Scenery Leaving Juneau






View From Back of Main Deck

Sumdum Glacier

No comments:

Post a Comment